Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Home" a poem

This has nothing to do with my site,
but I took on a challenge to write about home, and I wrote my first poem!

“Home”

A homemade bouquet of pink simplicity roses
Puppies sniffing with little wet noses
Corn husking, boiling, buttering, eating
Family round the table greeting
The mud ‘tween my toes, the baa in the barn
Dew covered foreheads, the afghan yarn
The clothes on the line, Grandma baking
Hoeing, raking, noodle making
Poppies bursting, salvia springing
Putt, putt, Grandpa’s tractor singing
Sleigh bells clang on the kitchen door
Announce Dad’s return from doing the chores
Hummingbirds buzzing flower to flower
Entertaining us evenings, hour by hour
Thunderclouds form in the western sky
We in our lawn chairs, watch till they’re nigh
Cousins just drop in to visit a spell
Scolding wren playing her part so well
Sunshine that warms my head and my heart
Autumn colors, God’s wonderful art
Observing each tiny bee and each bug
Little arms stretched for an afternoon hug
Bushels of love, and chats on the swing
Bluebirds returning to homes every spring
Playing with kittens, hiking the creek
Sunday afternoon with friends at the lake
Tightrope walking on an old log
Lively days catching turtles and frogs
Sorting potatoes from common field rocks
Tall trees shading, and doors without locks
Long drives with ice cream to look at the crops
Fences with blooms from bottoms to tops
Spring peepers calling their song from the hollow
My Bible with pages that beckon me, “follow”
A stroll in the woods, praises ringing
Enjoy God’s creation, even birds singing
Dutchman’s Britches abloom in the woods
Mom showing off her garden goods
Hayrides, four wheelers, John Deere green
Help to set my favorite scenes
Swingin, bangin, screen doors slammin
Apple picking, campfires cracklin
Carving a pumpkin, and climbing a tree
That’s what “home” means to me!

1 comment:

  1. I love your Poem Vicki..It sounds like you have a VERY blessed home!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete