Monday, February 20, 2012

Our Diabetes Story

Our daughter Katy was diagnosed with Type I Diabetes in April 2011. This was huge adjustment to us as we learned how to dose insulin, count carbohydrates, and accept what we were told, which was that she would take insulin injections, or wear an insluin pump for the rest of her life.

No one wants to hear such news, especially about their 15 year old daughter or son. Naturally, we began to learn all we could. On the advice of a friend, I immediately began reading about GLYCEMIC INDEX vales of foods, and changing our diet to foods with higher glycemic index values (more about that another time).

A strong faith in God leads my decisions, therefore a Bible verse from the book of James was on my mind: "Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church, and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord, and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up...James 5:13-15."
[I want to clarify that I do not believe that our healing is determined by the ammout of faith we have, or that our failure to receive healing demonstrates lack of faith. I do not believe that prayer is a ticket to whatever we want. Rather, God wants us to come to Him, and to know Him. His will is to glorify His Son, Jesus Christ, and if something in my life, or the life of my family can be used to glorify Christ, we should offer it to Him to use. If He heals us, we are blessed!].

Because of this verse, and believing God can heal, we met with the pastors and elders of our church, and Katy was annointed and prayed over by them. I prayed like Jesus did in the Garden of Gethsemene, "Father, if You are willing, remove this cup (diabetes) from me (my daughter); yet not my will, but Yours be done."

My daughter began to improve over the next few months, and I was regularly on the phone with the doctor's office asking to decrease her insulin doses. The office was hesitant to let us decrease her insulin, rather wanting her to eat more to match the insulin they wanted her to take. But, over time it became clear that she no longer needed the insulin, and in October 2011, she was allowed to give up insulin altogether! One doctor said that she was in remission, and another said that it was a miracle!!! ~some of us still believe in miracles~I do!

So the question remained: What set this off? How do we prevent another occurrence like this? There were a few other medical questions unanswered.

Enter Dr. LSalle http://www.angelalasallemd.com/
DR ANGELA LASALLE is a physician practicing in an up-and-coming specialty area: Integrative Medicine. I heard Dr. LaSalle speak on the radio about how food intolerances can trigger or fuel
autoimmune disease. They do so becuse they contribute greatly to an ENVIRONMENT OF INFLAMMATION within the body. When the body is in a state of inflammation, it begins to destroy itself! Wow! the natural thing to do then is to find out what is irritating it, and get rid of it! So where do we start, and what do we eliminate? It is often related to the food we eat. Do we have to give up our favorite foods?

Long story short, we found that Katy does not tolerate GLUTEN. That's a common problem these days, so I will talk about it more in another post. But Katy is now eating gluten free, and is feeling better than ever! I have adjusted to cooking gluten free, and it is not longer stressful. In fact, we are experimenting with all kinds of new recipes, and I will plan to post some on this site.

I am so thankful for all the knowledge we have gained on this subject over the last year, and I cannot help sharing this story with others!
A great quote that sums up our healing experience:
Spread out your petition before God, and then say, "Thy will, not mine, be done." The sweetest lesson I have learned in God's school is to let the Lord choose for me. ~~D.L. Moody

No comments:

Post a Comment